Conceptualized in the year 2014, 'Sur Jyotsna' is a ‘Vichar’, a thought to encourage and promote Indian Abhijaat Sangeet. It aims at recognising the budding talents who hold potential to generate large-scale impact in the field of music in India and world. It is an endeavor nurture the rich culture of Indian music and pass on it to the younger generation.
Instituted in the memory of music expert & connoisseur Smt. Jyotsna Darda, the Sur Jyotsna National Music Awards is meant for young, talented, upcoming and highly creative/innovative singers/instrumentalists between the age group of 12 and 25 years.
Sur Jyotsna National Musical Awards is given to the talents who have mastered the art of India's sangeet or traditional music with a global appeal. They should be performers with the highest creative artistry from any genre of music - Indian classical music (Hindustani and Carnatic both), spiritual, ghazal, folk, sufi, semi-classical and Bollywood music in vocal space. In the instrumental space, which will also include percussion instruments, the genres could be Indian classical music (Hindustani and Carnatic both), semi-classical, folk, etc.
The Sur Jyotsna National Music Awards committee believes that these awards would encourage, motivate and inspire the youngsters to innovate and create a great piece of work in Indian music and make an impact both nationally and internationally.
The criteria for the selection and condition for eligibility would be as follows:
- Candidate should be an Indian National.
- The vocalist/instrumentalist should be perfect in sur and taal.
- The voice quality (in case of vocalist) will be a point for consideration.
- Candidate should have adequate knowledge & the ability to showcase the Highest standard & originality in creativity and innovation while performing.
- The candidate has to know the nerve of the audience while performing as music is a performing art.
- The candidate should have the ability to perform with a deeper understanding of Pitch & phrases (shrutis and gamak), expressions & emotions [ras & bhav}, Rhythm & beats (taal & naad).
- The candidate should showcase a great potential to become an acclaimed musician in the future based on the above criteria.
- The candidate has to be a true and a proud Indian at heart.
- The selection process of a candidate is beyond caste, sex, creed and religion.
- Candidate will be chosen for award by the taking into account the above points for evaluation by the Grand Jury.
An eminent Jury Board comprising distinguished singers, music experts, composers from the field of music will select the winners. The Jury Board will have unrestricted power to select the awardees. They will scout talent through multiple sources and decide on 2 winners who would be honored with the coveted awards. The winners will be given a trophy and prize money.
Every year, the awards distribution ceremony is held in Nagpur (Maharashtra) in the presence of eminent personalities & dignitaries from different fields, including art, culture and music. Although the final awards distribution ceremony takes place in Nagpur every year, the Sur Jyotsna concept is promoted in multiple cities of the country and world by holding grand events through digital and other media.
All rights regarding the awards are reserved with the Sur Jyotsna National Music Awards Committee.